How Kleenhanz® Works
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC):
- There are more than 52 million cases of the common cold each year among Americans under the age of 17
- Nearly 22 million school days are lost due to the common cold alone
- Children have about 6-10 colds per year, adults average 2-4
- 10-20 % of Americans catch the flu during flu season (November-March)
- Children are 2-3 times more likely than adults to get the flu
- There are over 2 million hospital acquired infections annually which result in over 90,000 patient deaths
- Failure to wash, or insufficiently washing hands contributes to almost 50% of all food borne illness outbreaks
- Infectious diseases remain the leading cause of death and disease worldwide and the third-leading cause of death in the United States.
The single most important thing we can do to keep from getting sick and spreading illness to others is to clean our hands. Clean hands prevent illness and infection.
For most of us, catching a bug like a head cold or flu is the result of something we touch that gets transferred from our hands to our eyes, nose or mouth. Our hands are carrying more germs, bacteria and virus than you can imagine. Shopping carts, money, door handles, restaurant menus, almost everywhere we go in public and everything we touch is transferring germs to our hands. If we could keep our hands germ free, it would significantly reduce our chances of getting sick.
Since 2002, Kleenhanz® scientists have been working to develop a superior alternative to harsh alcohol based hand sanitizers. Our goal was to develop a germ, bacteria and virus killing hand sanitizing wipe using newer science methods and two active quaternary ammonium compounds (QACs), benzalkonium chloride and benzethonium chloride. The result is Kleenhanz®, an alcohol free, superior germ and bacteria killing hand cleaning and sanitizing wipe that leave your hands feeling soft while providing persistent germ killing protection. This newer science utilizes quaternary compounds (detergents) rather than the older methods of ethyl alcohol to kill germs and bacteria, eliminating the harsh side effects of alcohol based hand sanitizers. When you wipe your hands with a Kleenhanz® towelette you are cleaning, disinfecting, moisturizing and providing persistent germ killing protection.
Alcohol based liquid hand sanitizers do not clean hands. The original liquid hand sanitizers were developed for hospitals where doctors washed and scrubbed their hands until they were clean and dry and then they used a liquid hand sanitizer to kill any remaining germs. Today, people have the misconception that using a liquid hand sanitizer on dirty hands will somehow clean their hands. Using a liquid hand sanitizer on dirty hands is ineffective and does not clean your hands, it only moves the dirt and grime around and the second the alcohol dries, its germ killing work is done and your hands are still dirty. When you wipe your hands with a Kleenhanz® towelette, the mechanical action is cleaning your hands while the germ and bacteria killing compounds are working. Your hands will feel moisturized and will have persistent germ killing protection after each use. Kleenhanz® is also very effective as a germ, bacteria and virus killing barrier for surfaces such as door handles, shopping carts, steering wheels, keyboards, restaurant menus, gas pump handles and lots more.
Kleenhanz® vs. alcohol based hand sanitizers
- Kleenhanz® is an alcohol-free hand cleaning and sanitizing wipe that kills 99.9% of germs and bacteria on contact
- Kleenhanz® is antimicrobial and hypoallergenic
- Kleenhanz® leaves hands feeling soft and smooth
- Kleenhanz® provides persistent germ killing protection
- Kleenhanz® is non-flammable and non-toxic
- Kleenhanz® formula is over 99% water based
- Kleenhanz® is Handwashing On-the-Go®
Alcohol based hand sanitizers have the following disadvantages:
- Alcohol does not clean hands, it only moves the dirt and grime around
- Alcohol is a drying agent, excessive use is bad for your hands; Dry, cracked skin is susceptible to serious staph infections
- Alcohol stings on an open wound
- When alcohol dries (in seconds), it’s germ killing agents are finished working
- Alcohol is toxic, flammable and can be abused by kids
- Alcohol based hand sanitizers are being banned by more and more public school systems
- Using a liquid sanitizer on dirty hands is ineffective and does not clean your hands
Kleenhanz® vs. Viruses
Since 2002, Kleenhanz® scientists have been working to develop a superior alternative to harsh alcohol based hand sanitizers. Our goal was to develop a germ, bacteria and virus killing hand sanitizing wipe using newer science methods and two active quaternary ammonium compounds (QACs), benzalkonium chloride and benzethonium chloride. The result is Kleenhanz®, an alcohol free, superior germ and bacteria killing hand cleaning and sanitizing wipe that leaves your hands feeling soft while providing persistent germ killing protection.
See the Kleenhanz® MSDS, Download the PDF
Is Kleenhanz® effective against viruses? Yes, Kleenhanz® is effective against many viruses, like H1N1, Hepatitis, Herpes, HIV, Chlamydia and dangerous bacteria like MRSA. It is important to note, however, that the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) does not allow products in the hand hygiene category to make claims against viruses as it relates to usage on the hands. That is because of the vast differences on skin types, texture and variances involved in treating and testing hands. Surface wipes are regulated by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and the surface wipe product category, with proper testing, is allowed to make claims against viruses. With that said, Kleenhanz® was developed as a superior hand cleaning and sanitizing wipe but it is also very effective as a germ, bacteria and virus killing barrier for surfaces.
See the Kleenhanz® Microorganism Sheet, Download the PDF